Which 19th century Thai manuscript has watercolors of cats?
Updated: May 28, 2020
Here are some clues:
1. It is a folding book with 12 folios which open from top to bottom.
2. It was produced in the 19th century in central Thailand.
3. Folding books were usually made from the bark of mulberry trees.
4. A short caption accompanies each cat image in the book. It describes the features of the type of cat depicted.
5. The cat images probably served as a breed standard in Siam (present-day Thailand.)
6. There are also notes explaining the effects each type of cat might have on its owner.
7. The names of the author and illustrator and the exact year this folding book was produced are unknown.
Answer: Treatise on Cats or Cat-Book Poems