top of page
  • Writer's pictureMarina Veronica

Protecting your dog when spring showers bring toxic flowers


Dog with flowers


Spring is a time to enjoy the beauty of nature yet not all spring flowers are safe for dogs. Some plants and flowers can be harmful, or even deadly, if ingested. Here are 10 common spring flowers that are toxic to dogs:


Azaleas


azaleas

Azaleas are popular spring flowers that add beauty to gardens but they pose a serious risk to dogs. Eating even a few leaves can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive drooling in dogs. In severe cases, it can lead to a drop in blood pressure, coma, and even death. If you suspect your dog has nibbled on azalea, it’s important to contact a vet hospital immediately.



Tulips


tulips

Tulips are another spring favorite, but they’re not safe for our canine pals. The bulb of the tulip contains toxins that can cause intense stomach upset, loss of appetite, and even convulsions. The symptoms can be quite severe, so it’s crucial to keep these plants out of reach of dogs and to seek veterinary help if ingestion occurs.



Sago Palm


sago palm

While not a flower, the sago palm is often found in gardens and homes during spring. It is extremely toxic to dogs, with the seeds being the most poisonous part. Ingestion can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, liver failure, and potentially death. Immediate veterinary care is necessary if your dog has eaten any part of a sago palm.



Lily of the Valley


Lily of the Valley



This delicate flower, while beautiful, is highly toxic to dogs. It contains cardiac glycosides, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, a drop in heart rate, severe cardiac arrhythmias, and even death. If you have these in your garden or home, it’s best to remove them or ensure your dog cannot access them.











Daffodils


Daffodil

Daffodils, with their bright yellow blooms, are a sign of spring but they’re dangerous for dogs. The bulbs are the most toxic part and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and even heart arrhythmias or respiratory depression. Keep daffodils out of your dog’s reach and contact a vet if you think they’ve ingested any part of this plant.




Foxglove


foxglove

Foxglove is beautiful but deadly. It affects the heart directly and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, cardiac failure, and death. Because of its high toxicity, it’s important to keep dogs away from foxglove and to seek veterinary assistance immediately if ingestion is suspected.





Rhododendron


rhododendron

Similar to azaleas, rhododendrons are toxic to dogs. They can cause vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness, and depression of the central nervous system. In severe cases, ingestion can lead to coma and death. Prompt veterinary attention is required for dogs that have eaten rhododendron.




Hyacinths


Hyacinthe



Hyacinths can cause intense stomach upset, depression, tremors, and increased heart rate in dogs. The bulbs contain the highest concentration of toxins, so it’s particularly important to prevent dogs from digging them up and chewing on them. If your dog is showing any symptoms after being near hyacinths, call a vet hospital for advice.







Oleander


oleander

Oleander is a common shrub in Dallas, TX, known for its beautiful flowers and leaves, both of which are highly toxic to dogs. It can cause severe symptoms, including vomiting, heart failure, and even death. It’s vital to ensure your dog does not have access to this plant.





Autumn Crocus


autumn crocus


Despite its name, the autumn crocus often blooms in the spring and is toxic to dogs. Ingestion can lead to vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage, and respiratory failure. Symptoms may be delayed for several days, so it’s critical to seek veterinary care immediately if ingestion is suspected.





Keep your dog safe as you enjoy the spring season. If you’re ever in doubt about your dog's health, contact your veterinarian.






188 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page